How to Choose a Cordless Vacuum for Mom
Updated Dec. 21 2019, because the Tineco Pure One S12 M does not have a motorized head, I’ve moved this recommendation to the Tineco Pure One S12 cordless vacuum cleaner.
November 19, 2019 Update:
The Tineco Pure One S12 cordless vacuum cleaner adds a significant feature that the recommended S12 M Lite does not have.
Just to be perfectly clear, both the Tineco Pure One S12 M Lite and the Tineco Pure One S12 Standard are excellent vacuum cleaners.
But I got new information about the Pure One S12 vacuum lineup after publishing this review. I clarified with Tineco the difference between the S12 lineup vacuum heads.
The S12 M and the S12 M Lite do not have motors in their floor attachments.
The S12 Standard and the S12 Plus do have motors in their floor attachments. That’s what they mean by “direct drive,” which was not defined on their website or anywhere else I could find.
When I got through clarifying this with Tineco, I decided to update this article to explain why you might want the S12 Standard instead of the S12 M Lite.
The Tineco Pure One S12 M Lite Cordless Vacuum Cleaner (the Editor’s Choice described in the article below):
- does not have a motor in the floor attachment
- has a carpet sand pickup ranking of 94%
- is significantly cheaper than the Tineco Pure One S12 Standard cordless vacuum cleaner
The Tineco Pure One S12 Standard Cordless Vacuum Cleaner:
- does have a motor in the floor attachment
- has a carpet sand pickup ranking of 99%
- is significantly more expensive than our original Editor’s Choice S12 M Lite.
The floor attachment motor adds weight and power to the vacuum’s pickup abilities. If you’re like me, and want to use the vacuum on the stairs, you’ll appreciate the sheer weight of the floor attachment motor as it keeps the vacuum brushes in contact with the stair carpeting.
Original article below:
You know from the Senior Home Central article How to Choose a Cordless Vacuum for Mom that we defined some solid requirements for mom’s new vacuum cleaner.
The best vacuum I’d buy for my mom looks like this:
- The vacuum is lightweight
- The vacuum doesn’t have a cord to trip over
- Its batteries have enough power to give you time to clean the floors
- The vacuum has a truly sealed HEPA filtering system
- It has enough power and agitation to clean the deep dirt from the carpet
- The vacuum has a motorized smaller head for cleaning stairs
- The vacuum comes at a good price, from a company that backs its warranty
Editor’s Pick for Best Vacuum for Mom
The Tineco Vacuum Pure One S12 Series
The Tineco Pure One S12 M Lite is the least expensive of the four Tineco Pure One S12 cordless vacuums.
It’s the cheapest of the cour, but it’s powerful enough to meet and beat all the requirements we have for mom’s new vacuum cleaner.
Why the S12 M Lite is Right for Mom
It’s light. The S12 M Lite weighs only 6.2 lb.
It has great battery life. It comes with two batteries that you can charge at the same time. When one is done, slip in the second one into the vacuum to keep going. The S12 M Lite uses a dirt sensor to drive its power output. It uses less power for less dirt, which saves on battery life.
On regular power expect to get 1 hour and 20 minutes of run time using both batteries. You’ll get significantly less time if you use max power without rest, but there’s no need to do that. It will clean the carpet on regular power, so there’s no need to rush or use high power.
It’s cordless. This cordless vacuum has no cord to trip over. It also has no hose or canister to trip you up on the stairs.
It’s also a handheld vacuum cleaner perfect for cleaning stairs. When you remove the wand and head, the S12 M Lite turns into a handheld vacuum. Attach the motorized small head accessory to agitate the fibers in the carpeted steps. This will loosen the dirt to get the steps really clean.
A strong company backs the warranty. The S12 M Lite comes with a 2 year warranty. The Tineco customer service is crazy responsive. They answer every question and complaint on Amazon. I’ve seen people re-do their reviews because some problem they had up front got resolved in a quick, complete, and friendly way.
It’s reasonably priced. The S12 M Lite is the cheapest of the S12 models. It’s very competitive with Dyson vacuum prices.
It’s a truly sealed HEPA vacuum cleaner. The S12 M Lite has a fully sealed HEPA filter that keeps the dirt it collects in the bin. It doesn’t spew it back into the air the way badly-sealed vacuum cleaners do.*
It lights and agitates the carpet fibers. The S12 M is power head works on both carpets and floors. Lights on the front allow you to see what you’re cleaning even in the shadows. The power head agitates the carpet fibers to loosen the dirt so the vacuum can then suck that dirt up into the bin.
It’s self-cleaning. The S12 M Lite’s pre-filter cleaning tool saves you from replacing or washing your vacuum filter. The pre-filter cleaning tool spins the filter clean. You can re-use the filter without getting it wet, or buying a new one.
What You Get if You Upgrade
There are four Pure One S12 cordless vacuums. From cheapest to most expensive, they are:
#4: The Pure One S12 M Lite
#3: The Pure One S12 M
#2: The Pure One S12
#1: The Pure One S12 Plus
#4, Our Pick, the S12 M Lite Feature Summary
- Batteries: Two batteries giving you a total of 1 hour 20 min. run time on regular power
- Power Head: A power head brush that agitates carpets but is safe on floors
- Filter Cleaning Tool: A manually-operated filter cleaning tool
- Wall Mount Battery Chargers: A wall mount that allows you to charge both batteries at once
- Phone App: The phone app integration with maintenance reminders and history reports
- Powered Accessory Brush: A powered brush for the handheld version of the vacuum cleaner to agitate step carpet fibers for deep cleaning
- Tools: A dusting brush, crevice tool, and a flexible long crevice tool.
#3, One Step Up, the S12 M Feature Summary:
If you upgrade from the S12 M Lite to the S12 M, you also get:
- WiFi Camera: The WiFi camera to clean hidden areas
- Bluetooth Speaker: The Bluetooth speaker to stream music from your phone
#2, Two Steps Up, the S12 Feature Summary
- Batteries: Two batteries giving you a total of 1 hour 40 min. run time on regular power, which is 20 minutes more than the M series vacuum models
- Power Head: A direct-drive power head brush that agitates carpets but is safe on floors, and is somewhat more powerful than the M series brush
- Filter Cleaning Tool: An automatic powered filter cleaning tool. You manually spin the M series filter cleaning tool. The S12 uses power to spin it automatically.
- Wall Mount Battery Chargers: A wall mount that allows you to charge both batteries at once, the same as the M series
- Phone App: The phone app integration with maintenance reminders and history reports, the same as the M series
- Powered Accessory Brush: A powered brush for the handheld version of the vacuum cleaner to agitate step carpet fibers for deep cleaning, the same as the M series
- Tools: A dusting brush, crevice tool, and a flexible long crevice tool, the same as the M series
- LED Display: The #2 and #1 choices add an LED display that show you battery life remaining and power output.
#1, Three Steps Up, the S12 Plus Feature Summary
- The Soft Roller Head: The S12 Plus adds a soft roller head to the power brush. This brush is specifically for floors with large debris (such as cereal).
How to Buy the S12 Vacuum
I’d buy the cheapest of the four S12 vacuums for my mom. She never would have wanted Bluetooth or a camera, I’m sure. To my way of thinking, the only reason to upgrade is to go from the regular power head to the direct-drive power head. This will give you some more power on carpets, which means you’ll finish vacuuming sooner. The S12 M Lite head will get up all the dirt too, but you might need another pass or two over some spots.
Tineco Pure ONE S12 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Pros
- amazingly effective for a cordless vacuum cleaner
- lightweight and easy to use
- easily transforms into a handheld
- easy to hold, and to change attachments
- comes with two batteries and a 100 minute total use time
- beats the pants off a Dyson
Tineco Pure ONE S12 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Cons
- get the dedicated floor brush for delicate hardwood floors. The combo brush cleans floors but is too rough on soft wood
Vacuum Wars is an Excellent Resource
I got great data for this article from Vacuum Wars. I highly recommend you visit the Vacuum Wars YouTube channel. Watch some excellent videos using the science and data to choose the best vacuum cleaners. I watched several of his videos as research for this article. Click here to view Vacuum Wars on YouTube. Both Vacuum Wars and Senior Home Central are Amazon Affiliates. Some of you will use Vacuum Wars’ YouTube video description links to Amazon. He will get a commission if you buy after clicking his links. He informed a good piece of this article, so I’m happy to share the love.